Sunday, February 07, 2010

Meal #1: French Onion Soup with Salad



I don't like onions but I love a good French Onion Soup. What other soup can you get top with French bread and a handful of cheese? By the time the spoon dips into the brothy wonderfulness, the onions are merely an afterthought.


For such a simple soup the French sure do top it off with a fine cheese that is both pricey and hard to find in the grocery store.

So I chopped, grated, caramelized, stirred, boiled and broiled and one and a half hour later I had soup and a man home from work. Mike sat down to a serving of soup and a heaping plate of salad and said, “So what’s for dinner after these appetizers?”

Two things I would change:
1. Order a pizza for Mike
2. Buy single serving oven safe bowls in order to broil the cheese and bread.

For a first try at French Onion soup I’d give myself a B-.
And an A+ for not setting the house ablaze.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:04 AM

    Hey, I liked them both, but I love your chili!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work GJ! Mike cracks me up :)

    ReplyDelete