Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Driving for Doughnuts

Ever feel like you're stuck in a routine and you're never going to get out of it? I felt like that all last week and today it occured to me that routine is ok as long as you have little surprises along the way. Maybe today it was the spontanoues formation of a volleyball team, or lunch with a bubbly friend, or an unexpected present when I got back from lunch. It makes sitting in front of a computer go by a lot easier.

When I was listening to a Buddhist radio station they were talking about change. I know some people that fear change, motto being: change is evil and will repent against it. The speaker actually embraced change and became more animated because change is a good thing. It is something new and exciting. I even wonder if change can be a routine? The most simple example being, If you keep changing your hair every month, does that then become a routine rather than change?

So end point being is that I've always been a "yes" person but I'm going to try to push that to saying yes to the unknown, the expected and hopefully that will create lots of little surprises along the way.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:05 AM

    I think U2 wrote a song about the whole being stuck in a moment thing, not that I'm a big U2 fan, infact i hate them. Point being, you shouldn't need the Dali Lama Radio Hour to realize change is a good thing. You wouldn't have met many of your friends today. Life isn't defined by how, what, or when changes happen, its just a given that it will at some point. Its defined by how you deal with change. Do you try to stop it, or repress it like you say others do (which is foolish, because you're just lying to yourself). I think you've been pretty good at dealing with it. Like you say, it is important to notice the little things that make each moment different. But at the same time, too much change (in the short-run at least) can be very stressful. It is nice to feel grounded on something, not just floating forever in a current. Its nice to have something to hold on to, but even the most important things pass in time (your mother being a great example of this). But when these things can no longer be grasped, how you handle and grow as a person is what is important.

    Just another thought too, I wouldn't go around saying yes to every Tom, Dick and Harry. You want the pleasant little surprises, like a dollar bill you find in your pocket; not the 'holy crap I have ass-herpes' kind of surprises.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Brian - that was absolutely wonderful.

    ReplyDelete