Wednesday, August 11, 2010

A sweet and sad moment

Mike and I brought our large families and friends together this past Saturday for a pre-wedding picnic before we run off to wed in Mexico. We both had a great time and hope everyone else enjoyed it as well. After we cleaned up we sat at the kitchen table in front of a stack of envelopes that our guests had given us.

With white wine in hand, I gave Mike the honors of opening them. Out of about 50 cards, he selects the first one and says "Well this is a cute card, look."  I look, my eyes big with amazement point, "That's my mom." Mike is clearly confused but clearly see what is happening as my eyes fill up with tears. A long time ago I had seen a similar childhood photo of my mom and her friends. I opened it to read a nice note from my mom's two dear friends who explain that they used to take turns playing wedding dress up and that mom would have been very proud of me.

I have to admit, my mom friends haven't kept in touch or played a big role in my or my sister's lives. But by talking to them on Sunday it was clear there was a connection, a calm and secure one.

I'm amazed that out of all the cards lying on the table, Mike selected that one first. It was like Mom was trying to say she was there with me.
Mom is at the top right.

1 comment:

  1. Sherry M.5:54 PM

    What a beautiful story Gina. Thanks for sharing your love for your mother and her love for you with us. -Sherry

    ReplyDelete