Wednesday, August 04, 2010

The Wedding Industry - Part 1

Since my teens, I knew I wasn't the normal girly-girl. I wore jeans a size too big, loved football, wouldn't let anyone talk to me during a Brewer game unless it was about baseball and I didn't know your belt should match your shoes until my sophomore year of college. So when it came time to plan my wedding it's no surprise I held back.

At no disrespect to my friends I didn't want to go through the details they went through. And after a couple bridal showers I began to feel a little guilty that I wasn't as excited as perhaps I should be. So I started researching because my emotions for the pre-wedding activities didn't reach my happiness for the couple as when they committed to each other. And then I came across this article written by Jessica Murphy from Seattle:

Below are segments from her article,
You Know You're an Anti-Bride If …
- - -
"You need to be convinced to have a wedding. Eloping doesn't seem like a bad option. The idea that all of the work involved in planning the event can disappear with one short trip to Vegas is tantalizing—right up until the moment you walk down the aisle."

So true and exactly why we opted for a destination
 

Bridal boutiques give you the creeps. You're not enamored with the whole process of finding a wedding dress, and Vera Wang price tags seem downright absurd. ..You opt for buying something off the rack, online shopping, eBay, or one of the more reasonably priced chains.

I have to admit I had a blast trying on a million dresses. But I also have a bit of an obsession with dresses. I did buy a dress for under $200 and now have a bought a vintage dress online for under $150.

You don't believe that the wedding is "all about the bride." It's amazing how often a bride-to-be will hear this phrase. However, the anti-bride is typically uncomfortable with this notion because to you it's all about the groom—and the vows the two of you will make.


Couldn't agree more! It's about two people making a life-long commitment.

You let your bridal party decide what to wear. ...You'd rather have your friends wear a dress that they like and that they feel beautiful in.... You may not even have a bridal party at all. You may simply have your sister stand by your side.


Done and done - told my sister to pick out whatever dress she wants, just as long as it's not white. Mike's best man is wearing whatever outfit he wants. 

to be continued...

1 comment:

  1. Grandma8:48 AM

    I am looking forward to seeing pictures of all of this. Grandpa & I will be thinking of you from Florida. I will be wearing some kind of shorts.

    ReplyDelete